Forbidden Activity

Here is a video of a VERY popular preacher listening to his father give a testimony of participating in spiritual activity which is forbidden by scripture. He says he read scriptures in heaven which are not written in the Bible and makes it sound as though adding to scripture is alright. He also tells of seeing a blue-white light while traveling out of his body. This is a phenomena which new age adherents practice and teach. You will hear them take scripture out of context to try to justify these experiences but let’s look at what the scriptures say. His father also claims that he was called into the ministry by a dead man’s spirit.

Deuteronomy 18:9-14
9“When you come into the land which the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominations of those nations. 10There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12For all who do these things are an abomination to the LORD, and because of these abominations the LORD your God drives them out from before you. 13You shall be blameless before the LORD your God. 14For these nations which you will dispossess listened to soothsayers and diviners; but as for you, the LORD your God has not appointed such for you.

1 Chronicles 10:13-14

13So Saul died for his unfaithfulness which he had committed against the LORD, because he did not keep the word of the LORD, and also because he consulted a medium for guidance. 14But he did not inquire of the LORD; therefore He killed him, and turned the kingdom over to David the son of Jesse.

Isaiah 8:19-20
19And when they say to you, “Seek those who are mediums and wizards, who whisper and mutter,” should not a people seek their God? Should they seek the dead on behalf of the living? 20To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

Luke 16:27-31
27“Then he said, ‘I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father’s house, 28for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.’ 29Abraham said to him, ‘They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.’ 30And he said, ‘No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’ 31But he said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.’”

If God would not raise someone from the dead to preach in order to get someone to repent, then why would He send the spirit of a dead man to call someone to preach. This preacher knows a lot about the Word, but he also mixes it with the writings called the “oral traditions”, or Talmud, which Jesus condemned.

Matthew 15:2-9
2“Why do Your disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat bread.”
3He answered and said to them, “Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition? 4For God commanded, saying, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’ 5But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is a gift to God”—6then he need not honor his father or mother.’ Thus you have made the commandment of God of no effect by your tradition. 7Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying:
8 ‘These people draw near to Me with their mouth,
And honor Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
9 And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’”

The Talmud states that Jesus was a false prophet who is now boiling in hot excrement in the bowels of the earth yet this man says that we must learn from the “oral traditions” to fully understand the Bible even though the oral traditions are mixed with teachings from the Babylonian religion. The fact is that we couldn’t understand the Bible fully until Jesus brought us the New Covenant, washed away our sin and gave us the Holy Spirit to indwell us and to teach us.

2 Corinthians 3:12-18
12Therefore, since we have such hope, we use great boldness of speech—13unlike Moses, who put a veil over his face so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the end of what was passing away. 14But their minds were blinded. For until this day the same veil remains unlifted in the reading of the Old Testament, because the veil is taken away in Christ. 15But even to this day, when Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart. 16Nevertheless when one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. 17Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 18But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.

and again..

Ephesians 3:1-7
1For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for you Gentiles—2if indeed you have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which was given to me for you, 3how that by revelation He made known to me the mystery (as I have briefly written already, 4by which, when you read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ), 5which in other ages was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets: 6that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, of the same body, and partakers of His promise in Christ through the gospel, 7of which I became a minister according to the gift of the grace of God given to me by the effective working of His power.

If the preacher here knows the Word in the context of which it was meant, why has he not counseled his own father about this experience rather than holding it up as a work of God?

Advertisements

I am an ordained minister and I have been called to a ministry that will serve the Pacific Northwest and will eventually plant or restore a church in Northern California.

Tagged with: , , , ,
Posted in Faith, False Teaching, Hebraic Roots, Perry Stone, Seducing spirits
13 comments on “Forbidden Activity
  1. I need to know where to get material on the falsity of Rick Warren and the purpose life.

2. Kim says:

As I listened to the video and what Fred Stone was saying, it reminded me of the same library that Betty Eadie saw in her out of body experience related in her new-age book “Embraced by the Light.” She tells of a different Jesus in her book than the one in the Bible. What the Stones are promoting is definitely forbidden, as we are not to communicate with the dead because we will be deceived by a false spirit and then they encourage teachings not found in scripture.

• Dennis Tolar says:

Thanks Kim for commenting. It’s sad that so many do not realize what this man is promoting. I think that he is a wellspring of hidden knowledge which just hasn’t been seen in God’s word before. In the sense that occult means “hidden” this is true since much of his teaching stems from the Babylonian Talmud rather than the Bible. Of course, he hides this by referring to them as the “oral traditions.” Up until after the Romans destroyed Jerusalem they were strictly oral traditions and were never written down. These traditions were a gnostic view of the Old Testament and was intermingled with the Babylonian mystery religions. These were the “traditions” that Jesus rebuked the Pharisees about, not just doing the same thing over and over again in the same way. That’s why He asked them. “”Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition?” (Matthew 15:3) And again, “He said to them, “[All too] well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition.” (Mark 7:9) Yet once more he said, “”making the word of God of no effect through your tradition which you have handed down. And many such things you do.” (Mark 7:13)
      These oral tradtions also led to the Jews getting involved in mysticism and is the basis for Kabbalah, which in turn lead to much of the occultism we see today.

3. Kim says:

Thank you for the information. This is very helpful regarding an acquaintance who likes Perry Stone…

• Dennis Tolar says:

You are welcome. I forgot to tell you that there are two versions of the Talmud, the Babylonian Talmud and the Jerusalem Talmud. Interestingly enough, most Jews, even some of the most conservative Jews, consider the Babylonian Talmud to be the most complete and authoritative of the two. You would think that they would want the best one to be called the Jerusalem Talmud. I believe that because they were following these teachings even before their exile to Babylon, that’s why God referred to Jerusalem as Babylon in several Old Testament prophecies.

One other story about Perry Stone. One night when I got home from work at about midnight, I felt the Lord wanted me to turn on TBN. I only watch it for research on false teaching. Perry Stone was teaching that Joel chapter 2 and Acts chapter 2 were talking about two different outpourings of the Holy Spirit. I had never heard that before and I wanted to hear it out before I decided what to think about it. I prayed for several minutes and then the Lord reminded me that Peter started out by saying, “This is that which was spoken of by the prophet Joel.” He hadn’t even read the base text! I wrote him an email and I got a response that wasn’t just automatically generated stating that Perry would contact me later but he never did. However, he never did post that video on his website like he does all of the rest of them. I kept watching his website so that I could download it for proof but I guess it was such an obvious mistake he couldn’t deny that is was false.

4. Kim says:

This led me to read about the two Talmuds…very interesting.

I too have pondered over a teaching and prayed about it….The Holy Spirit brings scripture to mind to settle the matter.

Sometimes I find it difficult to talk with those who have been long influenced by extra-biblical sources. I was accused of having a different definition of scripture than the apostles or Jesus because I reject the book of Enoch and consider the canon closed.

• Dennis Tolar says:

Oh my! The Book of Enoch? I realize that Jude mentions that Enoch prophesied, but who is to tell that the Book of Enoch we have today is the book he was referring to. I haven’t read it myself but I have read articles which say that it does not line up with scripture. I too consider the canon closed. That’s not to say that the Holy Spirit doesn’t still speak to us today, (Romans 8:14 “For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.”) but if any spirit leads us away from a correct interpretation of the scriptures, then we should reject it as outlined in 1 John 4:1 “1Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.”

John 14:15-18 “If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever—17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.”

John 16:5-15 “But now I go away to Him who sent Me, and none of you asks Me, ‘Where are You going?’ 6 But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. 7Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. 8And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9of sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; 11of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.
      12“ I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. 14 He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. 15 All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you.”

As I said, I believe the canon is closed, however, I do believe He will speak to us to tell us how the canon of scripture applies to our life and how to apply our life to the scriptures. He has rebuked me, sometimes rather sharply, many times so that my life will line up with His word. I’m not talking about the obvious things, I’m talking about the little things which would eventually lead to the more obvious things, and I have thanked Him for it because I want so much to hear Jesus tell me one day, “Well done, my good and faithful servant.” This we can only do if we follow the Spirit in obedience to Him despite what is popular, for we must seek to please Christ and not men.

5. Frank says:

Hey all,

I just found this blog after seeing the “Dream interpretation, etc” book by perry stone. So, he’s basically New Age then? Just paging thru his dream book, that’s the impression I got. It seems like a lot of New Agey stuff I was into a while back.

The “book in Heaven” is what New agers call “the Akashic Record”. deliverance Preacher Russ Dizdar talks about it on occasion, and believes it’s operated by satan. I agree.

The book of enoch, is a long story. 1 Enoch, where it details the fall of the watchers (sons of God, genesis 6) and prior to the flood. That part is OK, and maybe is akin to the works of Josephus. Not canonical, inspired scripture necessarily, but something with some truth. I read it once, it didn’t seem to have anything that contradicted scripture.

Good resources on stuff like this is Revelations Radio Network (future quake, PID radio, set the captives free, etc.) And Jan Markel’s “Understanding the times” or olive tree views. I don’t agree with Jan sometimes, but she sometimes has good guests about new agers and anti rick warren stuff.

I personally write a blog, “don’t ask that in church” (blogspot) where I try to tackle weird stuff (UFOs, Qigong, Betty Andreasson, Edgar Cayce, etc) feel free to stop on over. I’d link it, but that usually ends me up in moderation as spam.

6. This is truly disgusting! That a pastor would sit there and think it’s great that his father had an encounter with a dead man is horrible. And Fred Stone said he was “shaking under the power of God.” I think he was giving himself over to a demonic deception and a fallen angel, and apparently does not have the discernment or will to see this for what it is – pure evil.

7. i heard perry stone say a couple of years that god told him george w bush would be preisent and that god wanted george w bush to be president, if god wanted george w. bush to be presient, why did he screw up our economy and do everything for the rich and make everyhting get so bad that many people lost their jobs and the ford motor plant in brookpark, ohio where my dad worked, i read that he and his fahter george senoir were members of the skull and bones society and that his grandfather prescott bush had financial ties to the nazis and hitler during world war 2, if anyone does not believe this, go on goolge and type prescott bush and the nazis and you will see it for yourself, i told god if he wants another bush like jeb bush to be president he is an idiot, becuase bush messed up our economy before obama got in there, and people lost their jobs at ford when george w bush was president and the ford plant suhut down and was torn down and now is a waste land becuase of bush, and this happened before obama became president